Monday 26 September 2016

Dark Matter - 'Wish I'd Spaced You When I Had the Chance' and 'Sometimes in Life You Don't Get to Choose'

Bonding.
Okay, so a couple of episodes to catch up before the season finale.

'Wish I'd Spaced You When I Had the Chance' focuses largely on Five and Three, who are separated from the others during a comms shutdown. Five is kidnapped by people traffikers and Three follows, himself pursued by Inspector Kierken. It's a chance for Three to be a sentimental badass, and for Five to be quietly badass herself, hacking a missile to blow up the GA instead of the Marauder. It's also interesting that Kierken again appears in an episode with a title referencing spacing.

Yea-eah we wept,
When we remembered Zairon.
At the end of the episode, Four asks the Android to reintegrate his memories, and in 'Sometimes in Life You Don't Get to Choose' he launches his campaign to reclaim his throne in earnest. Suborning generals and using the blink drive to get the drop on his half-brother, he presents his case and wins Hiro's support. Unfortunately someone rats him out. The Emperor is taken into 'protective custody' before he can abdicate and the Empress takes over. Four gets put through a show trial and sentenced to death, but the crew launch a rescue attempt. Their frontal assault is thwarted thanks to the Empress's informants, the Seers, but Five makes an end run to release Hiro and the tables are turned. Four becomes Emperor and has the Seers, the Empress and his half-brother executed.

What. What?

"I am not Four. My name is Ishida Ryo."

Clearly. This marks a bad development for the crew, who are now all standing in the court of a decapitation-happy emperor who wants to retroengineer the blink drive and galactic power balance bedamned.

Next week is the season finale, and I'm sorry to say that, with a few exceptions - this weeks final scene, 'kill them all' - Dark Matter has not been gripping me so much this season. It's good, right enough, but not great. I guess I'm getting demanding in my old age. On the up side, I've watched it all through, unlike say Bitten or Agents of SHIELD.

No comments:

Post a Comment