Friday 23 August 2013

On Ben Affleck as Batman

So, Ben Affleck is to play the new Batman in Man of Steel II, in which he will presumably confront the titular not-Superman with a Batmagnet of some description.

Or not.

So, is Affleck the man for this job?

On the plus side, he's an Oscar-winning actor, although the Oscar was actually for directing. He has also won or been nominated for more than his share of acting Razzies, but again to look at the flip side, they were all for terrible movies, and therefore not entirely his fault.

He's been good in some stuff, although I've never been blown away by him, and the memory of Daredevil haunts me. He was perhaps, as has been noted, the bomb in Phantoms.

So, is he a good Batman? Maybe. I think he could do it, but I've never seen him in anything that would make me certain. In particular, in a Batman vs Superman film, he needs to pull off some serious ambiguity, which actually plays more to Afflecks dramatic strengths than the weaknesses he displayed as a straightforward action hero in Daredevil.

I guess we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment