Wednesday 7 January 2015

Agents of SHIELD - What They Become

This is all getting a little too Mariah Carey.
In the mid-season finale of Agents of SHIELD (or the season finale; I'm not clear on this) Coulson's team plumb the depths of the hidden city, intent on destroying it before HYDRA can plunder its secrets. Meanwhile, Skye is brought to her father, the mysterious Doctor, for a series of double crosses in and around the HYDRA ranks.

In the good news column, Fitz and Simmons are starting to work as a unit again, and yet Mack appears to be back in action. In bad news, Triplett becomes the obelisk's last victim, essentially being shoved in the fridge in service to Skye's story (I'm sure it's not intentional, but Agents of SHIELD really hates the black man.) I suspect that it will only become more of a problem in the future that I still don't give a shit about Skye. She's not interesting to me, and I hate that she's the super special one. Frankly, watching poor Triplett (who was one of my favourite characters in the closing episodes of Season 1) turn to rock while Skye burst out of her chrysalis like a bloody pop diva near turned my stomach.
The latest victim of the Whedon curse.

The rest of the ensemble cast sort of muddle through in their badass fashion, but Skye and her father - Cal, he is called - get centre stage. This mirrors the focus of the season as a whole, and I suspect that my readers will have guessed that this isn't a direction I'm wild about. Agents of SHIELD was - I think - at its strongest as an ensemble show, and making any one character - especially Skye - the main centre of the action is to its detriment.

Also, seriously; look at that shot of Skye; that's some cheese right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment