Monday 23 November 2015

Pledge Break - Episode 1

It's a historical episode, and that means dress-up!
As I mentioned earlier today, my buddy James 'Gonzo History' Holloway is doing a podcast about Doctor Who with his childhood Who-pal Jesse Merlin. Once I'd got over my hump about the fact that he didn't ask me*, I figured I ought to review the podcast.

Holloway and Martin, who sound a little like a music hall review act, are intelligent and engaging presenters. Pledge Break - the title refers to the public broadcasting funding drives that were a defining feature of my own early Doctor Who viewing** - transcends simple episode recaps or wiki research with the depth of the presenters knowledge and experience.

Martin, self-described actor and bass-baritone - knows the production history and notable production staff, and understands the filming methods. Holloway has a deep grasp of the historical period (the earliest Gonzo History productions were a series of zines about the Crusades and the comically despicable thugs wot fought them) and their discussions combine these two areas of expertise well. The easy camaraderie and engaging, informal style make for easy listening. Definitely one to watch***.

* I'm good. I'm cool. I'm totally angling for a guest appearance; maybe Pyramids of Mars?
** I first watched Doctor Who on public broadcasting on the opposite coast to Martin and Holloway, which is why my Doctor is Tom and not Peter.
*** Well... listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment