Thursday 7 March 2013

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters

I went to see Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters with +Johanna Scott-Bennett last week, which was both less interesting than I hoped and more so than I had expected. There was a fair bit of swearing which sort of covered for actually doing anything really daring, and it was extremely black and white (there are good witches, but only the bad ones turn ugly). There wasn't much explosive anatomy of Dredd or Django, but it worked hard for its 15 rating and I am beginning to wonder if 12A isn't becoming the kiss of death for films not marketed at children.

Besides the obvious stuff - some effective action, lots and lots of unlikely weaponry, and two hot leads in black leather - there were some interesting twists. The fact that we have two hot leads who are both implied - prior to the film at least - to be virgins was a minor thing, but unusual. Their social inexperience was not shown as a strength, or as tough attitude, but largely as genuine awkwardness. I also liked the fact that Hansel, as a result of his initial experience with the gingerbread house, suffered from diabetes. I'm not sure how many diabetic action heroes there are out there; probably fewer than there are virgin action heroes.

There is also an awesome troll, who reminded me of The Storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment