Friday 10 July 2015

Doctor Who (NuWho) Series 9 Trailer


I want to be excited, I really do. I liked Last Christmas and it felt like they'd really worked out 13 and Clara, but... There are just so many problems.

First, Clara. I still feel a little cheated by that bait and switch at the end of Last Christmas, in part because I know she's got to go sometime and I don't think they'll ever do it as well again and in part because if she's still in it I'll probably end up disliking her again.

It's also got Missy in it, and I hate her. I hate her for a sop to anyone asking why the Doctor can't regenerate as a woman (see; the Master did it, we listened) and as yet another character (and the Master has always been one of these in the new series) whose primary preoccupation is the Doctor's pants; I'm really very over that one. Is it just misty-eyed nostalgia to believe that there were once nemeses who just wanted world domination, or to impose their will on reality at a sub-atomic level, or just to find a platonic worthy opponent?

Also, we have Daleks. Again. As well as Missy. Again. And Zygons*, again. I so, so, so want something new.

And okay, it's got Maisie Williams as... young River Song? Regenerated Susan? Jenny Mk II? And I quite like Maisie Williams, it just isn't enough anymore. I'm not excited about a new series of Doctor Who, and all I'm really anticipating is writing snarky reviews. 

That makes me a little sad.

* I don't know which I want less; for them to use Zygon Osgood to pretend they didn't horribly murder the character in Death in Heaven while ignoring the need for a living body print, or for them to claim that was Zygon Osgood, she just completely forgot her shapeshifting ability, superhuman strength and paralysing sting.

No comments:

Post a Comment