Tuesday 7 January 2014

What I Hope to See at the Cinema in 2014

It's a new year, and that means another 12 months of films to look forward to in a vaguely specific way. So, what's on my list (as of early January's schedules)?

From Last Year
47 Ronin - Because I love me some martial arts, however much tosh the rest of the film may be.

January
Last Vegas - Good cast, simple premise; could suck horribly of course.
12 Years a Slave - I have a lot of time for Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender.
Mandela: The Long Walk to Freedom - Probably one for DVD, but I would like to see it, if only for Idris Elba in a proper dramatic role.
The Railway Man - Again, probably on DVD and largely for the cast.
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Kevin Costner dares Chris Pine to do better by follwing Baldwin, Ford and Affleck into the role of the CIA's greatest boy scout.
I, Frankenstein - Monsters fighting and Bill Nighy is the lord of the undead again, apparently. Sign me up.

February
The Invisible Woman - Ralph Fiennes on Dickens and his wicked ways, and not a Fantastic Four spin-off after all.
Mr Peabody and Sherman - Shenanigans in time with a genius dog and his human ward.
Robocop - Remake city; have they bothered to make it a satire or just gone for action?
The Lego Movie - Could be great, could be dire. I wish to know.
A New York Winter's Tale - Love, death, and a big, white horse.

March
The Machine - A love story with mad robots, or something. I'll bite.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Marvel continues to impress, on the big screen at least, so this is a must.
Muppets Most Wanted - I'm a little disappointed by the absence of apparent European actors and celebs in this European-based sequel (apart from a villain), but I'm willing to cut the Muppets considerable slack.

April
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - I liked the first one, although it felt oddly unnecessary. It's just a shame it isn't linked to the wider Marvel Film Universe.

May
Godzilla - It's a Godzilla movie, and it's got to be better than the last one, right?
X-Men: Days of Future Past - Go on, movie; explain how they fit together. I dare you!
Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise, admittedly, but the premise is intriguing.

July
How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Because I adore the first one.
Transformers 4 - Because I keep telling myself they have to start getting better at some point.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I actually really enjoyed the most recent Planet of the Apes, and I'm interested to see where they go from here.
Jupiter Ascending - I need to know if Sean Bean makes it to the end of the film (I doubt it).

August
Guardians of the Galaxy - Rocket Raccoon!

November
Mockingjay - By this stage, Arya will be too old to come in with us, so some manoeuvring may be required.

December
The Hobbit: There and Back Again - To see how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment